Monday, February 22, 2010

Sunday Six Pack


Time for this weeks edition of the Sunday Six Pack...plus some extras!

< = gross!

1) The Mavericks win at home against the Miami Heat. The Heat had won 5 straight heading into last nights game, and the Mavs cooled them off with a phenomenal second half. The new guys played well, Haywood had his first double-double as a Mav with 11 and 11; meanwhile Butler had 20 points on a cleaned up 7-13 from the field. Dirk did his thing with 28 points, but it was Jason Kidd who continued to dominate...everything. He had a very profound 21 points and 11 assists! He seemed to create turnover after turnover and keep the Mavs' running on all cylinders. He said after the game that he feels "young": "I feel young. I understand I'll be 37 in March but right now being around the younger guys I feel fresh and I'm having a lot of fun!" Well he looks like he's having fun, he also looks like he's carrying this team right now! And maybe he's had to because of the new guys not having time to practice and having to learn on the fly. But seriously, without Kidd this team would be nowhere fast!

2) Another Maverick note: The Mavs' are apparently going to sign Von Wafer. He's a shooting guard who would be the biggest 2 the Mavs have had in a while...lets face it Jason Terry is undersized...J.J. Barea is definitely undersized (barely hitting the 6' mark). So he would add some size to the undersized backcourt the Mavs' have right now. The story is that Wafer played for Houston last year and played well for them, especially down the stretch and in the playoffs. But his attitude apparently got him cross-ways with Houston coach Rick Adelman; therefore Von Wafer was not picked up again this off-season by the Rockets or by anyone else. So he signed with a team from Greece. Now the Mavs' are looking to make him the 3rd/4th guy playing the 2 guard spot. But I'm not sure if I like this move or not, and here's why: a) He's got kind of a bad attitude from what I've gathered. Maybe the year off has cleared his head...but then again, its hard to clear much junk from the head of a thickheaded person. b) I'm not sure that this is a good fit for Dallas. I think that he gives them some size, but word on the street is he's a shot hunter...which is what we just got rid of by trading Josh Howard (not that Von Wafer would be playing all that much). And c) He has got a back problem. Part of the reason the Mavs' are saying he's not officially signed yet is due to a physical about a disc in his back. My opinion...and again this is just me here...why are we looking to spend money (even if it is the league minimum) on a guy who a) has attitude problems b) has been injured with an injury could flare up at any given time c) he would be the backup to a backup at best. So I'll keep things updated to see if the Mavs' pick this guy up or look elsewhere.

3) I've seen a flurry of really good games today! First I watched Lebron and Shaq lose to the other Super man Dwight Howard; then I saw Denver destroy the Celtics (which stinks for the Mavs); San Antonio lost which was great; then I watched Golden State come back from an 18 point deficit in the fourth quarter to beat the Hawks by 4; and now I'm watching an Overtime game where Utah trailed Portland by 25 points in the 3rd...then came back and sent the game to OT. Now they've got a 5 point lead with under a minute left! Wow...

4) Team USA hockey just beat team Canada 5-3. My friend predicted that Canada would win 5-3 so...he was wrong! It was one of the most exciting hockey games I've seen in a long time. It was so fast paced and intense! The U.S. just would not back down and was relentless in pursuit of the puck and their fore-check was incredible! This is their first win over Canada in 50 years, and they are 3-0 this year. MVP thus far...Goaltender Ryan Miller! Just unbelievable!

p.s. it put me in the mood for watching the miracle on ice again!

5) The U.S. has more medals than anyone right now...but is it legit? I read an article where someone was arguing that the U.S. doesn't deserve to be the medal leader due to having most of their medals awarded in "judged" competition. Well my take is that "judged" competition is part of the Olympics...therefore the USA has the most medals...and it is legit!

6) Do the Winter Olympics seem really boring? With the exception of Hockey, and Snowboarding, and even downhill Skiing...does anyone really watch cross country skiing or Curling? come on...really? Curling? Its like watching Pro Bowling on ESPN 8 the Ocho. Its so boring, slow, and does anyone - including the "curlers" - understand the rules? Ok, so I get it. The idea is get your rock closest to the center...well, I have an idea: for the Summer Olympics lets make Horseshoes an Olympic sport! Why not? It takes some skill and there is form involved and strategy and all that...or how bout Frisbee golf or no wait...a bean bag toss!

BONUS: March Madness is approaching not quickly enough! I cannot wait to see what unfolds here especially in that very good Big 10 conference! But do not underestimate some of these Big 12 teams to advance...it is a very competitive conference and seeing as how Texas A&M almost (and should have) beat #1 ranked Kansas and (at the time) #1 ranked Texas. Near upsets, and they have played well in most other games. But Tech and Baylor should not be overlooked if they get in to the tourney. I'm not sure anymore about my Final Four picks...because I had Texas in there and now...well, they are falling fast. But I still think Kentucky will ride John Wall to the finish and Kansas wont back down. If only Villanova would stop losing. And as always I'm pulling for Duke! Did North Carolina forfeit the season and leave the country?

DOUBLE BONUS: Ha...like the college hoops reference? Portland blew that lead they had over Utah and Carlos Boozer dominated and pulled down 23 rebounds...and scored 22 points! And my favorite Portland Trailblazer missed a 3 that would've sent it to double-OT. This means the Mavs' must keep winning to keep up with Utah and Denver who both won today...ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dallas Sports World's Fan Box